Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 cup Rossi Pasta Italian Spice Linguini (broken into pieces)
- 12 ounce lean ground beef or lean ground lamb
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cup beef broth
- 2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 cup shredded escarole, curly endive and/or spinach
- 3 ounce Parmigiano-Ragiano or domestic Parmesan cheese w/rind cut into 4 wdeges (optiona
In a large saucepan, cook beef, fennel, onion and garlic uncovered over medium to high heat for 5 minutes or until meat is brown and vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally. Drain fat, if necessary.
Add broth, water, oregano, bay leaves and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 mintues. Remove bay leaves and reserve for garnish.
Stir in pasta. Return to boiling until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in escarole.
To serve, place wedge of cheese in four soup bowls. Ladel hot soup into bowls. Top with bay leaves.
Makes 4 main dish servings.