Leek & Onion Linguini in Red Onion & Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb Rossi Pasta Leek & Onion Linguini
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, slivered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 - 24 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 ounce sun-dried tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water or dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- freshly ground peppercorns
Heat oil in a large non-reactive skillet over low heat. Add onions and saute' until softened, but not browned (about 20 minutes). Add garlic and continue for about another 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water and red pepper flakes. Increase heat, bringing mixture to simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low and allow to cook about 20 more minutes. Pepper the sauce to taste.
Meanwhile, prepare the pasta to package directions. Drain pasta and incorporate with sauce. Garnish with chopped basil and grated Romano.
Makes 4 hearty servings.