Okra, Onion & Tomato Stew
- 1 pkg Rossi Pasta Vino Rosso Linguini
- 1 lb okra, tops and tails trimmed
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion (about 2 medium yellow onions)
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small banana pepper, chopped
- 2 cup canned whole tomatoes, crushed, reserve juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon sliced and pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a medium stockpot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium to high heat. Add half the okra and cook until color begins to change (2 to 3 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan; set aside. Add 1 tbsp oil to pan and repeat with remaining okra.
Add remaining 4 tbsp oil and heat. Add the onions and pinch of salt. Cook stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent (8 to 10 minutes). Add garlic, reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are lightly caramelized (about 2 mintues more). Stir in oregano and banana pepper and cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Add reserved okra and chicken stock, stirring to combine. Simmer until okra is tender (15 to 20 minutes). While the stew is simmering, bring to boil a pot of water and cook pasata al dente according to package directions. Stir in olives and parsley, Taste and adjust for seasoning. Serve over pasta.